STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
Make sticky rice. I love adding quinoa to my rice to make it even healthier! While the rice is cooking, wash and prep the ingredients for the pad ka prao filling.
First sauté the minced garlic, onions, and Thai chili peppers with some cooking oil.Then add the imitation meat and continue to stir fry.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetarian mushroom sauce (depending on preference), then add 1/2 tablespoon of Coconut Aminos, and continue to stir fry. Salt & Pepper to taste.
Turn off the heat, add Thai basil, and mix in. The heat will wilt the basil quickly.
Assemble the lettuce wraps by first adding rice, and then topping it off with the pad ka prao. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, squeeze a little lime, serve, and enjoy!
My love for Asian food know no bounds, especially Thai food. I could honestly go to Thailand just to eat! One of my favorite foods from Thailand is a popular street food called pad ka prao. It's a simple but delicious dish of stir fried ground meat (usually pork or chicken) with Thai basil, and served over rice and a fried egg. I was super inspired by my trip to Thailand, that I wanted to recreate this amazing dish into a healthy vegan version!
In my Vegan Thai Pad Ka Prao Lettuce Wraps, I use imitation meat and vegetarian mushroom sauce in place of oyster sauce. And to make it even more fun to eat, and healthy, I opted to make the pad ka prao into lettuce wraps. Serve this as a healthy lunch, or as appetizers. The savory and spicy Thai flavors will keep you reaching out for more! Try it out and let me know how it goes!
VEGAN THAI PAD KA PRAO LETTUCE WRAPS
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Easy Peasy
PREP TIME: 10 Minutes COOK TIME: 30 Minutes PLATE TIME: 5 Minutes
TOTAL TIME: 45 Minutes
AMOUNT: 10-20 Wraps, depending on size of lettuce cups
INGREDIENTS FOR RICE:
- 2 Cups of Rice
- 1/4 Cup Quinoa (Optional)
- 2 1/2 Cup Water
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN PAD KA PRAO LETTUCE CUPS
- 1 Head of Butter Lettuce
- 5-10 Thai Chili Peppers (More if you like spicy)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onions
- 1 Cup Thai Basil (Regular Basil is fine too)
- Green Onions & Sesame Seeds (As garnish)
- 1 Package of Trader Joe's Beefless Ground Beef (Or 12 oz of imitation ground beef)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Vegetarian Mushroom Flavored Stir Fry Sauce
- 1/2-1 Tablespoon Coconut Aminos or Soy Sauce
- First make your rice either in your rice cooker or in a small pot. While the rice is cooking, wash and prep the ingredients for the pad ka prao. I like to mince everything very small.
- Add cooking oil to a pan on medium-high heat, then add the chopped onions, minced garlic, and Thai Chili Peppers. After frying for 2-3 minutes, add the imitation meat. Continue to stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetarian mushroom sauce, then add 1/2 tablespoon of Coconut Aminos, and continue to stir fry. Add more or less sauce depending on your preference. Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat, add Thai basil, and mix in. The heat will wilt the basil quickly. Your Pad Ka Prao filling is done!
- Assemble the lettuce wraps by first adding rice, and then topping it off with the pad ka prao. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, squeeze a little lime, serve, and enjoy!
Styling & Photography: Annie Cho